Friday 20 September 2013

Who You Gonna Call!?

For those of you who are familiar with The Forks Market, you may be well aware that it is a very peculiar place.

I've always found obscurity in its historical transformation from an early Aboriginal settling grounds through to its modern day use as a multi-cultural food court and shopping centre.

But on a day-to-day basis, the forks is a quirky environment because it signifies a coming together of so many different types of people and ideologies.

Having worked there for the past five years, I have developed relationships with business owners, employees and costumers, who are completely different from my usual group of friends. I have conversations with them that I would never have outside of The Forks Market setting.

I could tell you a thing or two about Moe and his passion for gourmet cheese and wine.

I know all about Betty from Tall Grass Prairie and the scores in her son's elite level soccer games

And as of this week, I have learned that Victor Martin, an employee of Fergie's Fish and Chips, has a paranormal investigation business on the side.

I don't believe in ghosts, I don't know many people that do.

Victor not only believes in Ghosts, but he also interacts with them!

"I've been seeing and hearing ghosts all my life, in every city that I have ever lived in and Winnipeg is undoubtedly the most haunted place in Canada," Victor explains to me while I stop and chat with him on an extra-long washroom break from the place I work a couple of shops over.

"There's more paranormal activity here because of the water. "

A minute into our conversation about ghosts and I realize that this could go on all day!

I like to consider myself a fairly reasonable individual but somehow this self-proclaimed "ghost buster" is beginning to make me feel like paranormal activity may actually be a thing....

A big thing in fact!

"Manitoba has many different paranormal activity teams, we're just one of them and we offer our services for free!"

So how does this whole ghost hunting business even work? My only frame of reference is an image of Bill Murray running around in a snot-green one piece with a vacuum cleaner attached to his back.

"I'm working on a house in St-Vital where a spirit just won't leave the owner alone. It used to live in the  house and it hasn't figured out that it's dead yet. My crew has been making regular visits to the house to try and catch some audio and video of it."

I ask to see some of the footage that Victor has captured during previous paranormal excursions but he tells me that his team is saving everything they have recorded for a video compilation.

I thank Victor for the cool new perspective he has given me on ghosts and their presence in my city.

"Oh by the way, I've seen ghosts a bunch of times here in The Forks Market."

Great. Closing later this evening is going to rock.

If you or anyone you know is experiencing what may be characterized as paranormal activity, visit Victor's website! He's a really friendly guy and his team would be happy to investigate any suspicions.


Victor Martin, Fish Fryer/Ghost Buster




No comments:

Post a Comment