Thursday 5 September 2013

Sociology

In my first year of university I took an introduction to sociology course. The world around me became a little clearer as I realized that my youthful decision to chop off my beautiful barbie's beautiful locks was less about an innate desire to attend hair design school and more to do with my gleaned perceptions of what it meant to be attractive. I wanted Barbie to look like me so that I could see more of myself in her beauty.

Unfortunately Barbie’s looks are unattainable. Her chest is way too big for that little frame. 

In fact, a lot of components in life tend to be dictated by the impossibly large breast phenomena. An extension of which is that we, as humans, are constantly striving to conform to the norm.  And conforming isn’t easy when society tells you that you need double d’s and all you’ve got to work with are triple A’s. So you stuff your bra with Kleenex and pretend that you’ve got it all figured out. You don’t, but you pretend. Because in the end, everyone’s stuffing. 

This past week I was really lucky to have the opportunity to sit down  with a couple of women that are going against the norm, throwing away the bra altogether! They are professional pole fitness instructors and champions. Despite the negative attention they receive for their sport's association with the stripping industry, these women have made a successful pole fitness business for themselves. Through this business they aim to empower women and challenge stereotypes. 

I attempted to learn how to pole dance too. The photo below documents the most challenging movement I was able to execute. I'm sure Barbie would have been much better. 

Check out the full article I wrote in this week’s issue of The Uniter and please follow my blog as I investigate other Winnipegers who have given up stuffing! 





1 comment:

  1. In the subhead, trade the apostrophe in Winnipeggers for another g.

    ReplyDelete