Thursday 31 October 2013

This Halloween, Throw Away the Cat Ears!


Halloween is a great excuse to unleash that quirky part of yourself that already dresses up in a wacky costume every other day of the year. People have so many different interests and beliefs and this occasion is the perfect opportunity to make individuality come alive, or dead depending on what your going for. 

Unfortunately, the trend in adult halloween celebration, has shifted away from quirky and towards something a lot more revealing.

It’s not even that young women and girls are using halloween as an opportunity to dress in practically nothing, put a pair of animal ears on their head and call themselves a “cat.” It has more to do with the fact that these costumes are entirely unoriginal and defeat the purpose of what is supposed to be a celebration of fright and creativity, a chance to experiment with that part of ourselves that pushes boundaries and steps out of comfort zones. 

I’ll admit that I have definitely used halloween as an opportunity to look sexy in something tight, but as I’ve matured a bit, I’ve discovered that there are other ways to be cute without shortening the skirts and tying the tops of my friends high school uniforms. 

I have a few friends that make it their mission to be original with their halloween costumes. My aim this year is to refrain from pulling my sister’s old tutu and body suit from her closet and calling myself a ballerina. 

My inspiration? 

1) The belief that I, like everyone, have a creative inclination to be silly and not worry too much about      what other people think

2) My very cool friend's halloween costumes from this year and past years. 


Emily as the U.S government shutdown


Riley as Mitt Romney with his "binders full of women" 


Becky is cute and creative in her "Freudian slip" costume


Emily as "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" 

No comments:

Post a Comment